Tuesday, August 12, 2008

some thoughts

Feeding Mgwayi
This last Friday we had staff appreciation day with loads of games and a big lunch. There was kids here from some of the COTN houses and some of the staff came though the staff dinner was moved to Monday so more will come to that. As games were occurring we saw some mgwayi kids hanging around the back of our compound. Mgwayi is the village that backs our compound split only by an open field. We have been going to mgwayi five days a week for the last two months really making a connection with these kids. They sat watching us run around and laugh and play. All the interns hearts were breaking wanting these kids to come join us, though we were not sure what our directors would say so we avoided it. After some time they just started coming in. Looking at them they had gone home washed and put on their finest clothes before coming in. Lunch was approaching and looking around there was a lot more people then originally planned. Though that was not about to stop us, we started calling groups up to eat and mgwayi was included. These kids stood patiently in line while cooks rushed to make more food. Happily they sang songs and smiled in line. One by one they got their own plate of food and a fork. They went outside looking like they had one some sort of prize. After some coloring, food and games we walked them home. Looking back at the line of kids we were taking home there was more then fifty mgwayi kids that got to come play and eat! And still there was food for the interns! God provides!
Interns
I have spent the last two months with a group of interns that have really made this trip exactly what it is. I have grown into someone that is more myself then ever before. All in all I am still me though these interns have spent time helping me grow. There are a handful of the interns that I have gotten close to. We have all spent time learning just how to call each other on our lives. It has been great having some amount of accountability here. I was afraid I would be missing that considering I am use to meeting with Katie weekly as I have been for four years. I am glad that there is a handful of interns that I know I will still be friends with for the rest of my life.

Home?
Cant wait to get back to my friends and family. I am so excited to have my kitty back as my bed is very empty without my salma! I am so excited for food. The no wheat thing is way more of a problem then I thought it would be. I am so over rice for every meal. Meals were never this much energy before and I never had to think about them as much as I do here. The other day I had bought powdered broth to add to my rice so I could have soup. Well this particular kind was one I had had here before though it was a different brand. With in ten minutes my stomach was in knots and louder then ever. Well that brand used wheat. My poor stomach wanted nothing to do with it! But I was fine by that evening. Note to self NO WHEAT! Though I love it here and hope one day to return I am excited to get home and start the next chapter in my life. Out of college for a year before grad school I am really looking forward to a much needed and much earned break from school! Grad school apps here I come!

Coming back?
I love Africa… I may love Alaska just a little more! But given the opportunity to come back and work here again for another summer I would do it in a heart beat! Already finding it a struggle… one which will take me a year to pray over… to know if I should come back next year. Seems like walking back into mgwayi and seeing all my kids again would be amazing and irreplaceable. Going back to camp would be beyond amazing… and yes Bob and Gramma I have even thought about just working and putting money in the bank! Who knows what God will bring in the next year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sami,
Well it truly does sound like you have had an amazing time and knowing you your heart is just about to burst and it must be breaking it to leave your kids but as you do say God has a plan for you and you will have to pray to be pointed in the direction he wants you to go. As for me seeing your smiling face will be a great day for me as I do truly miss it. The girls have been talking about you coming home and are so very excited. Aubries party is the 24th but i think you will be at the ocean. Well I also know that your kitty will be very excited to see you. Jojo has been sleeping in Tylers room so she has been cuddling with her. Only a few days left and you will be home.
Keep having fun and i love you
Love
Mom

Unknown said...

Hi hon,
I am sure when you get back here you can make all that you are doing make sense to me I seem to have trouble keeping it all together. Having theses notes will be sort of like a diary I guess.
the weather is nice here but I do still want to go back to Hemet, I somehow feel very comfortable there although I miss the people here.
bob almost has the bedroom done, the color I picked out is not to wonderful but it will work.
I guess I told you the boat is running so that is a plus.
Keep having fun and doing all the good that you do.
Luv you, Gram