Thursday, July 24, 2008

a late night update

well i got to hold a three week old baby. they strapped it to my back with a chitingi... i am sure i spelt that wrong. in anysense its like a sarong only thicker. it was so little and i was so terrified it would fall. Eventually i took it out and held him. he is the younger brother or krissy, they call him kid. there are four in that fam krissy weezi promise and kid. they are all beautiful and great. The mom is kitty and i make her laugh everytime i come because i yell into the field MOMMA KITTY and then give a big wave followed by muli bwanji which mean how are you. havent met the dad yet. the next day i held the baby again and for a long time.. but in my arms not on my back. this time it peed on my and had to go home and change it! lol.
at muzu i experienced real sadness. one kid had a wound on his foot. so i got his sister and had her walk me the boy and a malawian to their house to it could be cleaned and cared for because it was bad. they were reluctant to go but with a smile i prompted them on. as we got close the boy limp ran ahead and stopped at a house. it wasnt his though. the malawian intern i was with asked for the boys mom as the boy stopped and cried refusing to go home. a women came picked him up and we followed them home. this was not his mom and the boy wiggled free and ran about ten feet away. the mom walked up with a baby on back, who was cute and smiling. i turned to see the boy was still crying and had picked up two large rocks prepared to throw them if his mom came close. i had noticed as we walked into the village from the sports field all the kids that followed seemed to draw closer to me, smiles came off their face. the moms stood by and laughed at the boy as he cried and yelled in chichewa. i didnt know what he said and there was nothing i could do... i have never felt so helpless ever.
well in anysense it is late and far past my bed time BUT here is good news, next thursday at 11pm my time, 2pm seattle time and 5pm Tennessee time i will be on facebook, and on gmail... bubbles.rgc@gmail.com sign on and chat with me... i will update this before then too but just wanted to let you know... hint hint mom you can try again and aunt mary you may be at work and busy but thought i would let you know! HOWEVER internet, computers and electricity is not something you can count on here... SO i may get kicked offline or it may not work... oh the things of a third world country!
anyways i love it here all the same and still miss you all like crazy!
blessings from africa.. you are all in my prayers

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, All these ways to get ahold of you are really taxing my wee brain (perhaps it is really good for me) I read your not last night and tried to respond but did not figure it all out. This morning is much better. Now I only hope I eamember how it is I can IM you on Thursdays. Next Thursday I may not be able to as bob and I are goingon a short trip with Kelsy and Rus. I think of the trip you, Ryan, bob and I took so ofter. Good thing the lightening did not get you in the pool.
Not alot going on but I do think Bob will paint the bedroom today or at least get started. You really will not know the cabin and although not the same maybe better. bob took the boat in so who knows maybe if you have time you can ski. Keep your fingers crossed.
I read this note and reread your and think how shallow I must sound. I just cannot imagine how awful it is for those little kids seems so unfair. I am truly proud that you are trying to brighten their little lives for a short time as you brightened mine for so long.
I know it will be hard to leave but like you said someday you will return. (you and McArthur)
Try to stay well and hopefully you will get back here and figure out what is going on.
My thought and prayers follow you whereever you are and I know you know how much I love you.
God be with you,
Gram

Unknown said...

This is from Sharon, my really good friend from HS. Her Cousin Wanda is in South Africa somewhere and has been there awhile.
Guess it is a small world just don't know how small.
I enjoyed so much reading Sami's notes; what a godly experience for a young girl, or anyone for that matter. Cousin Wanda mentioned she and a friend were going on another vacation trip in a couple of months and mentioned Malawi and I told her about Sami so she asked which mission group she was with as her friend has missionaries friends there who were involved in putting a roof on an orphanage or something. They might even meet up!! When you tell me, I'll let her know the group.

Unknown said...

Testing

Unknown said...

Hi Sami. Thank you for the updates. I can tell how much joy you bring to those kids' lives and that they are never going to forget you. We are praying for them and for you. We'll try to log onto Facebook tomorrow afternoon. Riley is working away at his 12 hour a day painting job and Quinn still at Starbucks. Pammy had her 17th birthday on Sunday, and Quinn and Pammy celebrated their 18 month anniversary. We're looking forward to seeing you on the coast in August.

Unknown said...

Hey Bammers,
I really miss ya and I hope you are feeling better! I am amazed at all you write about I do not know how you do it all in one day! I hope you are taking lots of pictures. JoJo and the girls have moved in so the house is a little bit crowded. I got the home agent position so by the end of September I will be working from my bedroom I can't wait no more commuting. I can't say it enough please get a pic of an elephant for me. Love you lots
Your favorite sister
Colie Wolie