Friday, July 11, 2008

WOOT

hey all so i finally go the internet for more then just a minute... though i am paying by the minute so i will try to make this quick!
I love MALWI! sorry gram i think i will move here... lol. Well i will atleast be back!
You should check the team blog as it will be updated more then mine (hint riggers... its a good place to get our update if you are not finding it here!)
my kids are great. i see God in every one of them. As we approach the village the kids run up and yell AZUNGU which means white person. They grab your hand and just walk with you. We dance ALOT... suprised ruggers... probably! we play lots of repeating games and teach about the bible.
My village i go to on tues and thurs is MUZU COTN has not been here alot and the main guy in charge doesnt like us. The first day the kids were scared of us as they hadnt seen white people before. We made a good ten of them cry. By now they chase the van when it leaves and there are hundreds that come see my team of four. Each time we go we give a bible talk and just show the kids we love them and want to play with them. The first day we showed up to an empty field three hours later when the director came to get us there were 300 children plus parents! Crazy.

SICK
wednesday of the second week i went to a potluck with a staff person. Just me and her with a bunch of malawians. It was amazing. I however was not very careful and wached my hands in not sanitary water and then ate. Here in malawi we dont use silverware... so i ended up barfing for five days straight. I went to the clinic and they did nothing... They gave me anti-nausea that absorbs... hmmm... sketch...YES. eventually i was so dehydrated i had to go back and get an IV. This was at a new REALLY sketch place, but they tested for malaria and i dont have it so they gave me and IV. all is kinda well i am still flowing after every meal but not barfing!

TEAM
My team is great, i live in a bunkhouse with 16 other girls. We have running water most of the time and sometimes it HOT. We have electricity most of the time too!

ROOMIES
sorry guys i realized i left a bunch of stuff... EEEK

BABIES
I love you and miss you so so so so so much! give salma a hug for me PLEASE and make sure kendall doesnt feed her people food! And you better not have makeup on! I MEAN IT! :) but i miss you a lot and have your pictures all over my walls so i can see you all the time! If you look up at the sky just know i am looking up there too and thinking of you!

Food
the first week we went into the village and had to get food and one thing on our list was a live chicken... we had to kill it. MILLER i think i will give up meat. My chicken was amzing and then they killed it... sad. other then that its veggies boiled to nothing and then corn product or rice

cant think of anything else besides the fact all is well the kids are great my team is great and i miss you ALL!!!!

blessings from MALAWI!!!!
sami

4 comments:

Kendall said...

I can not believe you got sick there also. What is up with that? I read the note you sent to the little girls and they were very excited and laughed when you said the stuff about wearing make-up. In fact they were just telling the older lady the other day about how you don't like them to wear make-up and you tell them you will get mad at them if they do and then they giggle cause you don't really mean it. Things around here are moving along. I cut the grass the other day all by myself (impresssed aren't you) and I think I am going to go down to Barstow, California on the 20th of this month for a couple of days. I will leave on Sunday to go there cause Linda's Memorial in on the 19th. I am hoping to be able to have Nicole drop me on here way to work and then stay till like Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. Tom does work every day but they are back at the hotel by about 4 so I can lay around the pool during the day.
Well it sounds like you and the group are making quite the impression down there. I am so very proud of you. Keep up the faith and keep making those wonderful memories.
I love you
Mom

Alison said...

gotta watch out for that water... that's pretty rough that you got so sick - glad to hear that you're doing better though. so much for your theory about being sick less in malawi... sounds like a pretty amazing experience that you're having. i look forward to seeing pictures sometime :)

M and H said...

SammerBammers:

Thanks for the update. Missing you around here. Your Aunt Mary and I bought a kayak recently and named it the Lallygagger. We have a lot of fun floating around in Lake WA while enjoying the sun and beauty around us. The weather has been awesome! We are actually getting tan finally. We went hiking yesterday to Otter Falls, which is supposed to be the 19th best hike in North America; we think there are other ones that should have been on the list instead. But it was nice. And, at the end of the month we are camping with friends on Camano!
Glad you are on the mend. Praying for you and sending love from both of us! Maritza says to tell you she has run into Katie a couple of times and says hello. Not the same without you girlie! Take care of yourself and enjoy!
With love, Hadley and Aunt Mary

Verrückt said...

ah you mentioned me! that sucks about the chicken, as i just said in the other comment.
and that's horrible that you got sick! i hope the IV needle was sanitary....